On March 20, 1932, twenty women representing 12 universities gathered at Dominican College and became charter members of the Marin Branch of the American Association of University Women. The Mill Valley (later Southern Marin) Branch was formed in 1949, and the Novato Branch in 1964. In 2005 the Southern Marin and Marin branch memberships recombined and in 2007 the Southern Marin branch was officially dissolved. AAUW Marin currently has 172 members.
Friendship with like-minded women is one of the benefits of belonging to the Marin branch. Our members enjoy monthly programs that cover a variety of intellectually stimulating topics. Our interest groups provide the opportunity to gather in smaller groups for reading, study, fun and friendship.
AAUW Marin raises money to benefit women in the community. We fund local scholarships for women and girls (See Scholarships page for more information). Our annual contributions to AAUW Funds support graduate level grants to deserving female scholars. Not only do these grants fund education and research, they also help to support sex discrimination legal cases whose results have the potential to improve the quality of life for all women.
AAUW Marin makes a difference. Members serve local Marin and Northern California communities as volunteers, business leaders, entrepreneurs, and public officials.
Encouraging young girls to be aware of all career options has been an ongoing passion of the Marin branch. For seven years we sponsored Can-Do Day career workshops for middle school girls. Our efforts were acknowledged by then- First Lady Hillary Clinton in 1995. Thanks to Senator Barbara Boxer, who sent Mrs. Clinton the information about our successful program.